- Geeky way:
Use netsh wlan commands to setup a new network, and share your internet using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
- Go to cmd . Right click and Run as administrator.
- Type the following command
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=network_name key=password_here
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=HOMEWIFI key=password1234
(Note: Password should be minimum of 8 characters. )
- Now start the network using the command
netsh wlan start hostednetworkIf it say "The hosted network started", Then everything is okay - Go to next step. If it say "The hosted network could not be started". Go to Device Manager -> View -> Show hidden devices. Now in Network Adapters, Find Microsoft Virtual Network Adapter. Right click and select Enable. Now again run the above command.
- Now if you go to Network sharing center - > Manage Adapter settings , you can see two networks. One (say Network1) through which you connected to Internet , and the newly created Virtual Network (Say Network2), with which you will connect your mobile device or Laptop. Now Right click on Network1 and go to Properties, Go to Sharing tab, Tick the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection option, and select Network2 in Home networking connection.
- Now switch on WiFi in your other laptop or mobile device, Connect to Network2 (with the password you set in first step).
If you are not that tech person, the above steps wont be that easy, if everything doesnot work well. Then I will recommend Virtual Router plus tool for easy configuration of Ad-hoc network at your home or Office.